Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sweaters and Saturday

This weekend, I promised myself that I would take the time and finish the BEAST of an Aran sweater that I began last March.  I went home with my Irish friend, Murray, whose family lived just 40 minutes north of Belfast.  I had never cable knit that intensely before, but decided being in Ireland, this was probably the time to try it.  I got the authentic wool and buttons and a book of patterns ("Favourite Aran Knits"), and ended up making this lovely cardigan that I'm so happy with- check out those pockets:





When I got home from France, I also found this stash of honey-colored yarn with which I decided to make a second:





I'll be very warm this winter, to say the least.

Anyway, this weekend turned into an amusing one to say the least.  Because Friday night was so...spontaneous, I was feeling ready for anything.  Like if I walked into a club, there should be a sign hung around my neck that read "Bonne has arrived" (Murray used to say this all the time in France, sort of being sassy, but mostly being correct).  I get into these moods rarely, and believe me, it dissipated after last night.  Being Danielle's birthday weekend, we did in fact decide to go out to old city.  Originally, I wanted to go to this party of this English teacher who I find mildly attractive (I don't know him well enough to have any feelings past 'mild'), but decided against it- Philly hipster is not Danielle's scene.  Though apparently, Old City clubbing was neither of our scenes.  We walked into four bars, and after deciding in 2 minutes that each was inadequate, we walked home (she jokes that we have going out ADD, which is probably true).

And so we walked 30 blocks home, because there were no buses and unless I'm very drunk/about to be sick/have been sick/it's precipitating something, I do not take cabs.  We got back on the early side, maybe around 1 or so, and were craving a snack.  As I lie on my back in my favorite position (looks like I'm birthing) on the love seat in the living room, Danielle toasted some bread under the broiler.  I was sort of falling asleep when I heard, "Ow, ow. Sarah..."  I should tell you that earlier on in the day, I dropped a glass, and that glass scattered EVERYWHERE.  And when I look over, I see my very drunk roommate bleeding all over the carpet.  Holding an inch-long shard of glass.  Clean-up was hysterical- Danielle remained much more concerned with the carpet, whereas I thought about doctors and the emergency room.  Such is the nature of our differences.  At least the bread was good.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to a post about sugar free jelly...

    ps. BEAUTIFUL SWEATERS!!!

    ReplyDelete